Monday, August 29, 2011

Cleaning Out

Do you ever wonder how you accumulate so much stuff?  It's like the junk fairy makes a weekly visit to our house.  In our effort to put our house on the market, my husband and I have been cleaning out the closets, attic, basement, and any other place where things tend to accumulate.  So far, we have made 4 trips to the Goodwill in the last week and have enough trash sitting at the curb to scare the trash men away.

I can say that my tendency to be a packrat stems from my parents.  Both of them have the "I can't throw it away, I might need it someday."  While this was probably a good rational 50 years ago, the tendency today is toward excess.  This seems true for people of all generations, particularly in the US.  Maybe everyone should be required to move every five years just to clean out their closets.

Can we live with less and be happy?  Perhaps, we can.  The cleanout has been long and tiresome, but also liberating and freeing.  The more I get rid of the easier it is to let go of things.  I realize it is not the quantity of possessions in life that makes a person happy, but rather the quality of life experiences. 





No comments:

Post a Comment