Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Why Gluten Free?

After going through dozens of doctors trying to improve my headaches and fatigue, I started reading nearly every article I could get my hands on.  Nobody seemed to know what would help.  After throwing my hands up with conventional medicine, I turned to alternative methods.  I was not willing to give up...something was making me sick.

After reading stories of people had cleared up a myriad of medical issues by removing gluten (a protein found in wheat, barley, and rye) from their diet.  I decided to give the gluten free diet a try. Little did I know, I was really on to something important for me. After two weeks, I hadn't noticed a dramatic change in the way I felt, so I decided to have a piece of pizza. BIG MISTAKE!!! After spending nearly a week in the bed post-pizza, I had my answer. I was clearly gluten intolerant and needed to completely eliminate it from my diet. From there, the quest for all things gluten free began.

I cleaned out the pantry and went through everything in the house.  If I couldn't eat it, then it had to go.  It was astonishing to me that gluten was in just about everything in some form or another.  Why did wheat need to be in chili powder or italian dressing?  It goes without saying that almost everything "processed" was hauled away.

Since I love to cook, I started looking for new recipes and products that could replace the flour in my old ones.  Being a baker, this was a tough one.  I grew up helping my mother with cookies, cakes, and pastries.  I often fell asleep by reading cookbooks.  Around our house, food was love.  Needless to say, there was a lot of love at our house.  We were in the South after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment