Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Southern gringa?

In less than two months, my hubby and I are heading to Ecuador on a scouting mission to decide if it is the place for us and our pups.  Until recently, I thought the term "gringa/gringo" had a negative connotation.  Since I started investigating Ecuador a few months ago, I discovered it means someone not native to Ecuador.  Perhaps, I too will join other expats and become the new "gringa" in town.

When I say investigating, I mean researching the culture, cost of living, lifestyle, climate, etc.  The question is, "Do I want to live in Ecuador?".  At the moment, I am 75% sure that I will love it.  I have read every blog I could find, been trying to get a lay of the land, and have been working on my Spanish (mostly conversational with the folks at the local Mexican restaurant).  I find myself even hanging out around people speaking Spanish in stores, usually understanding every third or fourth word.  Wow, they talk fast!   My Spanish sounds very "Southern" with a Tennessee twang and minimal rolling of "r's".  My hope is that by totally immersing myself in a Spanish speaking culture, it will get easier.

A friend recently asked, "Have you always wanted to live in another country?".  The answer is that I always wanted to travel around the world or should I say "eat" my way around the world.  The idea of moving to another country is a relatively new idea encouraged by the chaos of the US economy and a desire to reinvent myself in a slower paced environment. When I first suggested the idea of moving to Latin or South America, my husband thought I had lost my mind.  After a number of "ecua-arguments", he is warming up to the idea.










No comments:

Post a Comment