Wednesday, August 24, 2011

A Visit with Granny

Earlier today, I visited my grandmother in the nursing home.  She is currently there getting some rehab in order to be able to go home.  In essence, she is a short-timer as far as those places go.  Granny, as I have always called her, will turn 83 in a few weeks.  A medical marvel, she has been to the brink of death and back more times than I can count.  When we are together, I work hard to be positive and encouraging.  After all, she has pulled through far worse than this.  Sort of like a cat with more than 9 lives. 

These days her short term memory is getting weaker and the long term memory getting stronger.  She revels in telling everyone she meets that I am her only granddaughter and that after I was born she got to hold me first.  She talks of my head full of dark curls with a bow in it.  In her mind, this happened just yesterday.  I usually just smile and nod. 

Granny has been like a 2nd mother to me and it is difficult to think her life is coming to a close.  Looking at my grandmother makes me think about my own life and how I can make it meaningful.  My goal is to appreciate each day, to learn from my mistakes, to promote happiness and health in my family and friends, and to be fully present for each step in this journey.




No comments:

Post a Comment